Beginning in 2017, PAABA has formalized a non-lawyer affiliate membership program in order to foster a closer association socially and professionally between attorney members of the Bar and the non-attorney “associated professionals” who are already members of our legal community or who regularly interact with active attorneys in the course of their professions. Through this affiliation, we intend to promote the mutual interest of lawyers and non-lawyers providing service to the legal profession. PAABA strives to provide all of its members, including associated professionals, with opportunities to help shape the community and maintain high standards for the legal profession.
Associated professional members are welcome to join Sections and Committees and to network with attorney members at educational events, section meetings, and other events. Grow your business by sponsoring a CLE lunch, co-presenting a with an attorney in your practice area, providing meeting space for section meetings, or by tapping into PAABA’s referral network.
Associated Professionals Benefits include:
- Reduced “members only” rates for PAABA events
- Participation in PAABA’s Committees & Sections
- Listing on the Member Directory
- Search for legal assistance using the Member Directory (avoid Lawyer Referral Service fee)
- Post announcements in PAABA’s weekly newsletter
- A way to develop your client base
- Access to member law firms for meeting and conference locations
- Social events and activities providing networking opportunities such as happy hours, mixers, lunchtime power walks, study halls, golf outings, and more
Any person employed in or residing in San Mateo or Santa Clara counties who meets the following description is eligible to apply to be a non-lawyer associated professional member of PAABA:
- A paralegal employed or retained by a lawyer, law firm, governmental agency or other entity.
- A law librarian employed by a lawyer, law firm, law school, governmental agency or other entity.
- An individual employed by a lawyer, law firm, law school, governmental agency or other entity as a patent agent, legal secretary, executive assistant, or law office administrator.
- A practicing non-attorney mediator, arbitrator, or other professional neutral.
- An individual who is a title company agent, a licensed private investigator, a banker, a financial planner or wealth advisor, a licensed insurance broker or agent, licensed real estate broker or salesperson, or a member of another law-related occupation so approved by the Board of Directors.
- A professional in any field who regularly serves as an expert witness in legal proceedings.
- A certificated paralegal who is actively seeking employment as a paralegal.
Such individual shall become an associated professional member of PAABA if all of the following conditions are met:
- Proof of compliance with the above requirements.
- Approval of Membership Application
- Payment of required membership dues payments of $75 per year.
As a condition of their membership, non-lawyer affiliate members must, when describing or referring in any way to their relationship with the Association, specifically disclose their status as a “Non-Lawyer Professional Associate Member”.
A non-lawyer Professional Associate member may join any section or committee with the exception of the Lawyer Referral Services Committee. A Professional Associate member shall have all the powers and privileges of an active member of the Association except those of voting or holding office, except in connection with a duly established Associated Professional Section, with the Financial Planning Forum, or as otherwise specifically provided by the Board.
The cost of this membership is $100 per year.